How to Decrease Electric Bill
Here is the good news. I am writing this article “How to decrease electric bill” to show you that there are actually a lot of different things we can do to lower or even eliminate our electric bills.
So, how to decrease electric bill?
The actions can basically be divided into two groups:
- Watch your consumption and try to save electricity
- Make your own electricity at home
1. How to decrease electric bill by saving electricity
- Switch of the light in rooms that you are not in
- Switch off your TV, DVD player etc completely when you don’t use them (don’t just leave them on “power save” but actually turn the power off)
- Change your light bulbs to energy saving bulbs
- Unplug devices such as cell phone rechargers completely as they will otherwise continue to consume energy
- Check if you can switch your electricity supplier to a cheaper one
- If you are using air conditioning units keep the filters clean and have the units regularly inspected
2. How to decrease electric bill by making electricity at home
Please note: In this article “How to decrease electric bill” I can only give you an overview of the possibilities.
Instead of just buying our electricity from the big power companies it is actually very easy to generate our own electricity at home. The two most common technologies used in private homes to generate electricity are solar panels and wind turbines.
Solar panels are being used to collect sunlight and turn it into electricity.
Wind turbines are being used to generate electricity from wind energy.
A solar panel is actually nothing else than a box with 36 solar cells. Ready-made solar panels are very expensive. Instead, you can simply buy the solar cells and then build the box yourself. All you need is a step-by-step instruction manual. Self-made solar panels work as efficiently as ready-made ones but for only a fraction of the cost.
A wind turbine is an electricity generator that is connected to some blades. The blades are being turned by the wind and the generator uses this rotary movement to generate electricity. Wind turbines can also either be bought ready-made or build by yourself for a fraction of the cost.
With a professional set of instructions anybody can build a fully functioning and electricity producing solar panel and wind turbine. Every unit of electricity you generate will automatically reduce the amount of energy you have to buy from the power company.
We have reached the end of this article “How to decrease electric bill”. I hope you enjoyed reading it. I would like to leave you with this thought.
In some countries private households generate more electricity than they need. In Germany, for example, this surplus electricity can be fed back into the grid and the power companies pay the households a fixed amount of money per unit of electricity.